A sustainable workplace setting a new benchmark for Melbourne
171 Collins Street
A new generation of workplace environment that links the luxury and sophistication of Collins Street with the intimacy and vibrant atmosphere of Flinders Lane.
The development consists of 29,800 sqm of premium office space, spread over 17 large campus-style floor-plates, and 1,700 sqm of boutique office space in the restored heritage building on Collins Street. The lower levels incorporate a business centre and over 1,500 sqm of high-end retail space.
The design concept addresses the facade’s relationship to St Paul’s Cathedral spires, which sit directly in front of the building when seen from Southbank. Previously, the spires were visually lost among the mixed assembly of taller structures beyond. This new insertion provides a consistent backdrop, so that the Cathedral’s fine architecture can be clearly discerned against the elegant white glass curtain of the building.
In addition to the finely crafted facade, the building incorporates key environmental features to easily achieve a 6 Star Green Star rating and a 5 star NABERS energy rating. In particular, the use of an under-floor air distribution system provides superior indoor air quality, occupant comfort and flexibility.
In 2021 Bates Smart was engaged to undertake a full refurbishment of 171 Collins Street’s end-of-trip facilities, having designed the benchmark commercial tower in 2013.
Using the base building’s minimal palette and detailing developed a decade prior, the design for the modernised facilities transforms the arrival experience into a premium functional wellness zone.
The location of 171 Collins Street makes it ideal for commuting, catering to active people and cyclists with an end-of-trip facilities accessible via dedicated ramp entry.
As part of a sustainable, high-performing and inclusive environment, spacious non-gender change rooms operate as standalone ensuites with showers, lockers, drying cabinet and towel service.
The secure space accommodates up to 280 bicycles with innovative bike storage options and a maintenance station with air compressor.
A light-based installation by Studio Ongarato and Electrolight focusses on high-performance and time with ticker tape displaying building, news and weather updates.
Charter Hall and CBUS Property
Melbourne | Wurundjeri and Bunurong Country, Australia
31,500 sqm NLA
- 6 star Green Star rating
- 5 star NABERS energy rating
- Property Council of Australia, Innovation & Excellence Awards, Sustainable Development – Existing Building (VIC)
- Inside IDEA Award for Public Space
- Think Bricks Awards, Kevin Borland Masonry Award, High Commendation, 2018
- Urban Taskforce Awards, Sustainability Development Award
- United Nations Association of Australia World Environment Day Awards, Hanson’s Green Building Award
- Asia Pacific Property Awards, Best Commercial High Rise Development
- Asia Pacific Property Awards, Best Office Development
- Australian Property Institute’s Pinnacle PR Environmental Development Award
- Illuminating Engineers Society Excellence Award for foyer/atrium/lift lobby