Fifty years on we are proud to report that this elegant building has defied the test of time.
The Australian chancery was the first purpose-built antipodean embassy since Australia House, London, built in 1918. It had to fulfill a demanding brief including high security, fall-out shelters as well as ambassadorial and diplomatic suites and was located in a city largely dedicated to the Beaux-Arts architectural style.
The resulting abstract form acknowledged the city's preoccupation with the Beaux-Arts while following the contemporary US embassy style of classical modernism and adhering to the city's height restrictions.
Facades of perfect symmetry and order are clad in white Tennesse marble with bronze tinted glass. The interior makes extensive use of Australian timbers, furnishings and contemporary Australian art.